Is It Safe To Leave My Windows Open At Night?
The UK officially recorded one of its hottest days of all time on 25th July 2019, with temperatures reaching 38.1C. Unfortunately, whether you like it or not temperatures in the UK will continue to rise year on year. There are many ways to protect yourself from this excessive heat but we’ve been getting a few queries lately on whether it’s safe to leave your windows open at night.
In an unbearably hot climate staying cool can be almost impossible. Our bodies will react in certain ways when temperatures reach an alarmingly high level. Sleeping for example is something most of us take for granted but in areas with 30 degree temperatures plus it can be almost impossible.
Sleep is vitally important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The side effects of a poor sleeping pattern or prolonged sleep deprivation can be detrimental to your brain and body. Of course, people have all kinds of medical ailments that prevent them from maintaining a healthy sleeping routine but it tends to happen en masse whenever there is a national heatwave.
Some effects of sleep deprivation are:
- High blood pressure
- Prone to irritability
- Negatively impact short and long term memory
- Less alert which could lead to accidents
- Constant fatigue
- Anxiety & depression
- Opening your windows to stay cool at night is a great idea. However, do not leave them open all night. Burglars will be searching for properties with any kind of weakness. An open or unlocked window is the perfect invitation to an opportunistic burglar.
- Leave your window open whilst you are in bed so that the cool night air will breeze into your bedroom or other rooms. Once you feel you are ready to go to sleep shut your windows. The cool air will circulate around your home whilst you are sleeping.
- Window restrictor locks are a great way to let cool air drift into your home at night whilst also protecting you from burglars. They will restrict the opening of your window to mere inches making it impossible for an intruder to access your property.
- Depending on your age it is recommended that most adults require between 7-9 hours sleep a night. The Summer brings with it immense heat and so you need to make sure your home is properly and securely ventilated. A trickle vent will encourage constant air flow and keep your home well ventilated on hot days.